Dean of Academic Affairs
Summary: The Dean provides leadership to the academic group at the College and the identified branch campuses (The Art Institute of Austin and The Art Institute of San Antonio) within the system in collaboration with Program Chairs, Faculty Coordinator and Faculty. The Dean sits on the Executive Committee of the College, and participates in inter-departmental activities. The Dean has ultimate responsibility for all academic functions across the Ai Houston branch campuses, including Registrar and Library operations, although these departments are not direct reports. The Dean ensures that the campuses perform as a group/system on all academic endeavors.
Incumbent must assure that The Arts Institutes International, LLC philosophy: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion - is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Key Job Elements:
- Leads efforts to develop, assess, and improve academic programs and institutional processes in partnership with faculty and staff in a shared governance system.
- Hires and evaluates all faculty at the main campus and branch campuses (Ai Austin & Ai San Antonio) within the system. Ensures that programs across all locations are staffed appropriately with Full-Time Faculty and a solid selection of qualified and credentialed Adjunct Faculty.
- Drives effective / efficient class scheduling and assignment of faculty within main campus and across branch campuses - meeting institutional budgetary targets.
- Serves as the primary catalyst / leader for assessment of student learning and accreditation activities at the main and branch campus.
- Works with functional departments to support student success related to the following: retention initiatives, attendance, student satisfaction surveys, classroom performance, time to graduation. Provide input into planning and implementation of annual budget including personnel, program expenses, and capital needs.
- Coordinates a variety of student and academic support services and activities in collaboration with other departments based on needs of the students.
- Oversees logistical and operational aspects of the academic program, including registration, budgets, faculty, among others.
- Provides leadership, planning, and implementation of new or revised academic programs while meeting all state, regional, and Department of Education regulations.
- Travels to branch campuses on a frequent basis, meeting with Campus Leadership, Faculty, Staff, and Students to ensure needs are being addressed on a regular basis.
- Follows all SACSCOC standards and ensures compliance at all branch campuses.
Reports To: Campus President
Supervises: Program Chairs, Full-Time Faculty, Faculty Coordinator, Registrar, Librarian
Interacts With: All other departments, academic affairs personnel, students.
Job Requirements (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
a) Credentials according to regulatory requirements with minimum of 6+ years related teaching experience. Doctorate preferred, prior experience / leadership with assessment of Student Learning Outcomes, SACSCOC accreditation standards, and higher education regulatory compliance.
b) Held positions of increasingly responsible experience in the industry and/or Academic Affairs.
c) Fiscal and personnel management experience.
a) Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
b) Strong interpersonal skills with supervisor and staff populations.
c) Superior organization, prioritization, and self-motivation skills.
d) Strong computer literacy skills with the Microsoft Office Suite.
a) Ability to interact effectively as either a leader or as a member of a team and work collaboratively with other departments, particularly through a remote/technical environment.
b) Ability to listen to others and to understand and respond positively to their requests.
c) Ability to adapt to changing assignments and multiple priorities.
d) Ability to manage multiple tasks and successfully meet deadlines.